Water-powered flax-spinning mill built in 1812 on site of corn mill. Significantly enlarged after purchase in 1835 by Metcalfe family: east and west wings added in late 1830s, warehouse and offices in 1844, warehouse in 1852. Power enhanced by installation in 1850-1 of waterwheel designed by William Fairbairn and Sons of Manchester and fed by 10 million gallon reservoir; steam engine added in 1857, water turbine in 1871. Gas plant established in 1864. New boiler house with dryhouse over and attached joiners' shop built 1877-8. Mill converted to hemp spinning in 1899, and run from 1912 by Atkinson family. Associated buildings, mostly built between 1850 and 1870, include millowner's mansion of Castlestead mill manager's house, workers' housing, school and schoolhouse, and chapel. Mill extensions and associated buildings of 1860s and 1870s designed by W R Corson of Leeds and later Manchester.
Images of Glasshouses Mill.
Get the conversation started by leaving the first comment on Glasshouses Mill.
Your email address will not be published. All fields are required.
Yorkshire textile mills, 2010-17. About this site.