Yorkshire Industrial Heritage

Langcliffe Shed

Yorkshire > North Yorkshire > Langcliffe > Langcliffe Shed

Basic information

Name
Langcliffe Shed.
Township
Langcliffe.
Civil Parish
Langcliffe.
Country
North Yorkshire.
Type of record
A.
NMRfn
63820.
NGR
SD 8175 6435.
UTM
54.07475049, -2.280400145

Description

Langcliffe Mill built in 1783-4 as water-powered cotton-spinning mill by Claytons and Walshman who had built Low Mill, Keighley, in 1780. Five-storeyed fourteen-bay mill substantially enlarged in early 19th century, when supplementary steam engine also acquired, and in 1868. Firm expanded into weaving in 1820s; powerlooms in due course housed in Langcliffe Shed, a water-powered single-storeyed weaving shed built c1840 0.6km south of mill to re-use water supply. Shed successively enlarged in late 19th and very early 20th centuries, and converted to steam power. Associated buildings: Langcliffe Place, manufacturer's house of 1783, and terrace of workers' houses next to mill and shed. Part demolished.

Ortophotographic map

Aerial photographic view of Langcliffe Shed (Langcliffe, North Yorkshire).

Site

Map of Langcliffe with its 2 textile mills.

No comments yet

Get the conversation started by leaving the first comment on Langcliffe Shed.

Post a comment or question

Your email address will not be published. All fields are required.

Yorkshire textile mills, 2010-17. About this site.