Yorkshire Industrial Heritage

Bank Mills

Yorkshire > West Yorkshire > Leeds > Bank Mills

Basic information

Name
Bank Mills.
Township
Leeds.
Civil Parish
Leeds.
Country
West Yorkshire.
Type of record
A.
NMRfn
63359.
NGR
SE 3099 3301.
UTM
53.79248596, -1.53105772

Description

Established in 1791-2 as steam-powered mill for processing cotton and wool, built to design of John Sutcliffe of Halifax. Purchased in 1823 by Hives and Atkinson, former partners in Marshall's Mill, Holbeck, becoming one of largest flax-spinning mills in Leeds. Site came to comprise four substantial multi-storeyed mills (A Mill rebuilt 1823, B Mill of 1833, C Mill of c1836-9, and D Mill of 1856), all but latest partly or wholly fireproof, specialised warehouses for flax, line, tow and yarn, and extensive offices. Part demolished.

Pictures

63359-84-YTM0037.png

Image of Bank Mills.

Ortophotographic map

Aerial photographic view of Bank Mills (Leeds, West Yorkshire).

Site

Map of Leeds with its 62 textile mills.

No comments yet

Get the conversation started by leaving the first comment on Bank Mills.

Post a comment or question

Your email address will not be published. All fields are required.

Yorkshire textile mills, 2010-17. About this site.