Titus Salt's great factory, the main part built 1850-3 with later expansion. Designed by Lockwood and Mawson of Bradford in conjunction with William Fairbairn of Manchester, the original complex provided an integrated worsted mill on a massive scale. Main components were warehouse and mill (five storeys and basement, sixty bays), arranged in a T-plan, combing shed, weaving shed, offices, and power plant. Close to the mill Salt built the village of Saltaire with workers' housing, public buildings and a park. Salts dominated the speciality fibre trade and the mills were said to produce eighteen miles of alpaca cloth every day in the late 1850s. Lower part of site between canal and river developed first in the 1850s with construction of gas plant, later by construction of dyehouses and New Mill (1868), with campanile chimney. Further sheds for storage and scouring added to main site. In 20th century, replacement of gas plant by mill buildings.
Salts Mill (sometimes spelt Salt's Mill) is now an art gallery, shopping centre, and restaurant complex. It was built by Sir Titus Salt in 1853, and the present-day 1853 Gallery takes its name from the date of the building which houses it. The mill has many paintings by the local artist David Hockney on display and also provides offices for Pace plc.
When completed, the mill was the largest industrial building in the world by total floor area. It is a grade II* listed building. The mill closed in 1986, and the following year it was sold to Jonathan Silver, who began a long renovation scheme.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Images of Saltaire Mills.
Get the conversation started by leaving the first comment on Saltaire Mills.
Your email address will not be published. All fields are required.
Yorkshire textile mills, 2010-17. About this site.