Yorkshire Industrial Heritage

Belle Vue Mills

Yorkshire > North Yorkshire > Skipton > Belle Vue Mills

Basic information

Name
Belle Vue Mills.
Township
Skipton.
Civil Parish
Skipton.
Country
North Yorkshire.
Type of record
A.
NMRfn
62117.
NGR
SD 9861 5160.
UTM
53.96048346, -2.022672629

Description

Founded by John Dewhurst in 1828 as steam-powered worsted-spinning and weaving mill with contemporary warehouse. Mill burnt down and rebuilt in 1831 as four-storeyed fifteen-bay cotton-spinning mill. Major expansion between early 1850s and mid 1880s, when weaving and thread manufacture introduced, led to construction of weaving shed, four substantial fireproof multi-storeyed mills, dyehouse and warehouse, all to designs by Wren and Hopkinson of Manchester. Dyehouse rebuilt in 1891; more extensive dyeing and bleaching works built shortly after 1900. New boiler plant, designed by Stott and Sons of Manchester, built in 1901-2. Associated buildings: Aireville House, residence of J B Dewhurst (d.1864), who funded chapel and school in Skipton. Dyeing and bleaching works demolished.

Ortophotographic map

Aerial photographic view of Belle Vue Mills (Skipton, North Yorkshire).

Site

Map of Skipton with its 8 textile mills.

No comments yet

Get the conversation started by leaving the first comment on Belle Vue Mills.

Post a comment or question

Your email address will not be published. All fields are required.

Yorkshire textile mills, 2010-17. About this site.