Established in 1826 as a private woollen mill by John Nussey, one of a family of prominent manufacturers. In 1834 mill used for scribbling, carding, spinning and fulling; weaving was not undertaken on site, indicating employment of domestic labour. Earliest surviving building, the main mill of 1831 (four and a half storeys, seventeen bays), was steam-powered from a central engine house and was of fireproof construction with cast-iron columns, beams and joists, stone-flagged floors and roof with arched cast-iron trusses. Further multi-storeyed mills built c1860 and c1875; time office and cottage built at entrance in 1877; site developed into a fully integrated woollen mill with addition of weaving sheds c1875; further mill built in 1919. In 20th century site used for rag sorting and storage by the firm of J R Burrows, one of largest firms engaged in supplying the local shoddy and mungo industry.
Images of Carlinghow Mills.
Get the conversation started by leaving the first comment on Carlinghow Mills.
Your email address will not be published. All fields are required.
Yorkshire textile mills, 2010-17. About this site.