Yorkshire Industrial Heritage

Wellington Mills

Yorkshire > West Yorkshire > Halifax > Wellington Mills

Basic information

Name
Wellington Mills.
Township
Halifax.
Civil Parish
Halifax.
Country
West Yorkshire.
Type of record
A.
NMRfn
62792.
NGR
SE 0969 2545.
UTM
53.72536453, -1.854620339

Description

Built in 1852, to designs by Dixon and Milnes of Bradford, by Samuel Cunliffe Lister of Manningham Mills, Manningham. Functioned first as woolcombing works, but in the 1860s changed to silk spinning and weaving. Lister sold the mill in 1873 after a fire, and it was then run as a silk-spinning mill until the mid 20th century. Complex of 1852 included steam-powered four-storeyed mill of seventeen bays, attached combing shed, engine house, boiler house, chimney, warehouse and wash house. Additions relating to the mill's use for silk spinning were a new wash house (1875), sorting sheds (1879), warehouse, by Petty and Ives, Halifax (1884), storerooms, drying rooms, a new power plant (1901), and a new mill (late 1920s). Demolished.

Ortophotographic map

Aerial photographic view of Wellington Mills (Halifax, West Yorkshire).

Site

Map of Halifax with its 36 textile mills.

No comments yet

Get the conversation started by leaving the first comment on Wellington Mills.

Post a comment or question

Your email address will not be published. All fields are required.

Yorkshire textile mills, 2010-17. About this site.